Entrances - Exits
– Anthoupoli: 05:40
– Elliniko: 05:35 / 05:41*
– Anthoupoli: 00:24 / 01:31**
– Elliniko: 00:19 / 01:25**
*Valid onlyon Saturdays and Sundays
**Valid only Friday and Saturday nights
Points of Interest
This is one of the oldest roads of modern Athens, which was originally designed to be a boulevard (formerly called Boulevard St). Today it is a very busy road, which connects Syntagma Square with Omonia Square. A number of impressive and famous public buildings of Athens are to be found on this avenue and they are some of the city’s greatest landmarks.
t is a block of buildings encompassed by Panepistimiou St, Voukourestiou St, Amerikis St, and Stadiou St, built from 1927 to 1938, in the area where the former royal stables used to be. The façade was built in the Art Deco style. In the centre there is an arcade with shops. A section of it has recently been renovated to house a shopping centre and an office block; there are also three theatres (Pallas, Small Pallas, and Aliki Theatre), cafés and restaurants.
Iliou Melathron (12 Panepistimiou St) is one of the most beautiful neoclassical buildings of Athens. It was constructed in 1879 by Ernst Ziller in the neo-renaissance style. Originally, this was the residence of the German archaeologist and philhellene H. Schliemann. It has a double stairway in the north side, and Ionic style colonnades grace the façade as well as the two other floors. The interior is decorated with Pompeian-style murals and depictions of the landscapes and finds from Troy. In 1927 it housed the Supreme Court (the highest penal court in the country). Today, It houses the Numismatic Museum.
It is a five-storey building which is a great example of late classicism. The entrance is decorated with Ionic style columns. It is located at the intersection of Omirou St and Panepistimiou Ave., and it houses the Archaeological Society of Athens.
The three columned, cross-in-square style church was designed by architects L. von Klenze and L. Kaftantzoglou. The portico in the western side has five cylindrical arches (it is located at the intersection of Panepistimiou Ave. and Omirou St).
This is an impressive building (1854) with elements of Byzantine and neoclassical architecture, which was designed by Ch. Hansen and modified by L. Kaftantzoglou. It was initially a single-storey building, to which a floor was added in the mid-1860s.
This stately building occupies the entire block. The foundations were laid in 1933 and it was inaugurated in 1938. The interior spaces are quite imposing with references to the style of the interwar period.
he following three magnificent buildings were constructed by two well-known Danish architects, the Hansen brothers, who lived in Greece in the 19th c.
On both sides of the Academy there are two wings decorated with friezes and a pair of high columns supporting the statues of Apollo and Athena. The statues of Plato and Socrates grace the front side of the building. The building was designed by Th. Hansen, the younger of the Hansen brothers. The statues were sculpted by L. Drosis and the painted decoration was done by K. Rahl. The Academy is regarded as a prime example of Greek architectural style.
The University of Athens was designed by Ch. Hansen, the elder of the Hansen brothers. The fountain in the university court, the circular stairway and the colourful murals depicting classical themes (designed by the Bavarian K. Rahl) which decorate the walls behind the columns on the balcony are quite impressive.
A remarkable building, designed by Th. Hansen. On the façade you will see a stately six-column portico in the ancient Doric style, built according to the standards used for the Thiseion building. The interior, designed by E. Ziller, is lit by a skylight on the roof and encompassed by an Ionian style colonnade.
It is located behind the trilogy buildings (at 50, Akadimias St), and it is a remarkable neoclassical building, designed by Ch. Hansen, and constructed in 1835. It was used as a hospital for many decades. Cultural events are held in the building. In front of the main entrance of the building there is a small garden with the busts of historical figures ( artists and politicians, among others), while on the back side, (facing Solonos St), there is a traditional café. Right next to the café (at the intersection of Akadimias St & Massalias St.) you will see the impressive Palamas building (known as the ‘pink building’ on account of its exterior colour). It was built in 1857-1859, and today it houses the Theatrical Museum library. The Student Union of the University of Athens (1926-1931), designed by Al. Nikoloudis in the eclectic style of the Beaux Arts, is located diagonal to the Palamas building (at the intersection of Ippokratous St and Akadimias St).
Korai Square is a small beautiful square, created when Korai St. was pedestrianised. The Rallis building (10, Korai Square) is located at the northeast part of the square, and it was built in the early neoclassical style. Opposite the Rallis building is the modernist building of the Treasury (designed by E. Lazaridis). At the northwest side you will see the remarkable former hotel Grand Hotel (2, Korai Square) today used as a store. Visit also the Korai Arcade, where you will find many cafes, small restaurants, shops, and a cinema.
A remarkable building with art deco ornaments (1925), built in the eclectic architectural style. The main transaction hall has an impressive colonnade and balconies. The daylight comes through the skylight where beautiful stained glass windows have been fitted.
It is a stately two-storey construction, and a typical example of Greek classicism with some eclectic style influences. The former Arsakeion School for Girls, is now housing the Council of State (one of the supreme courts of state). Right next to it is the Courts Square.
This arcade was built in the neo-baroque style, and it has a remarkable glass roof with a dome in the centre. There are shops, cafes and the “Stoa tou Vivliou” book shop, where the books of some 60 Greek publishing houses are sold. This is often the venue for cultural events, as well.
This building has three halls (for cinema screenings and theatre performances). It was built from 1935-1937, and its design was influenced by American skyscrapers of that time. Two halls are nowadays used for performances by the National Theatre. The third one is an entertainment venue.